Thursday, August 20, 2009

Career Builder Employment Mine Field

I found a job listing for "Writers / Photographers - Springfield - freelance telecommute"

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=QAMGM&ff=21&APath=2.21.21.0.0&job_did=J8E4N36N41DS2T512B4

It's a position posted at Careerbuilder.com for Examiner.com, supposedly a news organization that pays you for blogging and photography.


Job Overview
Company: Examiner.com
Employee Type: Part-Time
Industry: Art - Photography - Journalism Entertainment Internet - ECommerce
Manages Others: No
Job Type: Consultant Marketing Media - Journalism - Newspaper
Location:US-IL-Springfield



I thought my dreams finally came true, but then I took one important next step.

I Googled the words "examiner.com" and "ripoff". This is what came up:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Examiner-com/Work-at-Home-Busines/Examiner-com-don-t-pay-you-Den-P4C22.htm

Examiner.com makes an ad asking you to contribute to their newspaper by writing and taking photographs and posting them online. They list themselves as part-time work.

I posted about 20 articles. I took the job
because I was excited to be offered a job at all so I didn't ask right away how much I'd be earning.

Later, I learned that you have to have 1000 clicks to even earn $10 and they don't pay you until you hit the 3000 click mark. After 20 articles, I only made $10, which they're not going to give me.

Examiner.com is only taking advantage of people in a down economy to get free work done for them. I noticed later that many of the examiners only have about ten articles each themselves. Should've taken the hint.

Amy
Tempe, Arizona
U.S.A.


So when you use CareerBuilder.com there is a chance that an offer will be no better than if it were published on Craigslist.com

No comments:

Post a Comment